Don’t’ worry, we’ve all been there. The sink or shower is blocked up and the water seems like it’s taking forever to drain. Quite often it can cause a distinctly unpleasant smell to be released. And if you neglect the problem, it’s only going to get worse. That’s why it’s important to fix your blocked drain before you have to call a professional plumber like me to help.
Admittedly, from time to time you’ll want to contact a professional to fix complex jobs for you, but usually you can fix a blocked drain without having to do so.
In this blog I’ll explain how to clear your blocked drain in 5 easy steps using ingredients from your kitchen cupboard.
When you think of vinegar, what springs to mind? For me it’s hot chips and a walk along the beach! Not drains. But vinegar is a versatile solution that works surprisingly well in unclogging drains. Plus, when it’s paired with old cake making favourite, baking soda it’s eco-friendlier than industrial grade drain detergents. But it’s just as efficient and inexpensive.
So here’s how to unclog your drain using this natural technique:
- Pour a kettle full of hot water down the drain you want to unblock
- Add half a cup of baking soda and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Then make a mix of 1 cup of water and 1 cup of vinegar and pour on to the baking soda.
- Cover with your drain plug and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the plug and add another kettle full of hot water to the drain.
Now clearing a blocked drain doesn’t require magic but don’t be alarmed if you see bubbles appear like it’s a witches’ cauldron. That just means the mixture is working hard to dislodge the grime from your drain pipes.